Thursday, March 31, 2011

Looking Up? If My Neck Isn't too Sore.

Life has been looking up lately.
I'm working really hard on bettering my life
and I'd say so far I'm pretty proud of everything I've been
doing.


After so many years of :
"Oh I'm only a teenager"
"I'm not even 100lbs yet"
"I don't eat THAT bad"
"But I love Taco Bell"
and
"I'll start Monday"
I finally told myself that it was time to take
care of my body.
Just because I'm 95lbs doesn't mean that I'm not
wildly out of shape, and that one day my horrendous
eating habits won't catch up with me.
The earlier in life you make a habit to take care
of your body, the easier it will be to continue
to maintain it.
So last Wednesday I started P90X.
I've done about four discs so far and it is every
bit as brutal as they say it is.
Today will be my fifth day.
So far I've been really excited to work out
and keep to my program.
I know myself and I know that in the past I
get this way for about a week or so before I quit
and everything goes back to
tacos and being a couch potato.
But I'm determined to make it stick this time and
continue to make this a routine.
If I can make it another couple weeks I think it will get
easier since I hear that's about how long it takes to
form a new habit.

It's been about a month since I've had Taco Bell.
I know you are probably laughing at me,
but it really is my weakness.
I've never had any problem giving up other fast
foods, but when it came to tacos, I would give in
within the first week.

My dad gave me this poem when I was too young to
appreciate it.
I do now.

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
- Author unknown

Aside from the other changes I'm trying to make,
I officially quit Hot Topic Saturday.
The more I think about, even though I know it
was the right decision, I keep thinking about all
the things I'm going to miss.

So to make me feel better, I'm going to write down
the things I won't miss.

Mean customers.
Long hours on my feet.
Working nights.
Christmas time.
Bright new merchandise.
Alienating our original customer base.
Bad music on the play network.
Drama.
Folding t-shirts.
Inventory.
Thieves.
Gross finds.
Climbing ladders. (Fear of heights)
Stupid questions.
Organizing the rock wall.
Stabbing myself with sensors.


What I WILL miss?


My co-workers.
Shenanigans.
Shipment.
Creating displays.
POG.
Discount.
My employee number.
Good music on the play network.
Being the first to see new merch.
Pleasant customers.
Sharing stories.
Themed weekends.
Jokes.
Todd's complimentary insults.

And more I'm choosing not to write down so I'm not sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment